Sunday, December 5, 2010

Harry.



I took this picture after seeing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One: I think that my shirt has ended up looking like a wizard sleeve. I thought I might talk a little about the film, as I do like to talk about anything Harry Potter.
These books mean the world to me... I have grown up with the series since I was a little girl. When I was young I used to dress up in robes and go out in the garden and mix up petal spells in saucepans and mutter extremely cutting remarks at the nasty old professor Snape. I can still recall waiting for the new book to come out, my parents bringing it home for me, and staying up all night, reading until my eyes slid shut...
I have always been horribly mean to the films, I have only just begun to fully accept that film is indeed a different media than prose - and they cannot film every single page as is in the novels. Some of the earlier movies have been frightful in my opinion, (I shall never forgive the failure of the Harry and Ginny relationship, nor Michael Gambon as a gruff, hippie Dumbledore), however, to my surprise, I absolutely adored DH 1. The acting of Emma, Daniel and Rupert seemed to suddenly become, well totally breathtaking... Emma's screaming during the torture scene was spine chilling and my favourite character Ron was certainly done justice.
I sobbed, I screamed in fright (Snake attack!), my heart ached. Its nearly at an end.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Louisa, I'm glad you liked my post and didn't mind me using your photo! It really is a beautiful picture, I think it was the dresses that really got me!

    I adored Harry Potter too, I can't wait for the next film to be released!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, the dresses are quite beautiful aren't they!
    And me too, its going to be agony waiting until next year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored DH as well. It seemed like a much more grown up film than the rest. (Though I did immensely enjoy The Prisoner of Azkaban.)
    I remember reading the books every waking hour I could focus my eyes when they first came out. And then I reread them while I waited for the next one. I went to a midnight book release for the Deathly Hallows dressed as Pansy Parkinson (I had a Slytherin-esque scarf), accompanied by Voldemort and Cho Chang. It is one of my fondest memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel! It really did, and I find, however charming the earlier ones are, they just don't... well... As I grow up, I suppose I value all the darker/more complex themes in the later books/films.
    I used to speed read through each one, honestly missing so much, but I was just so desperate to see what happened. I think everyone was. But I have more than made up for it, I must have read each book at least 5 times each, perhaps more!
    That sounds so wonderful! I am desperate to go to the midnight showing of the very last film, as I haven't done anything like that before and its really the last chance... I think I shall dress up as Luna, I have my eye on some radish earrings on etsy!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about Harry Potter (though I am a huge fan of the movies too). It has been such a big part of my life and so close to my heart. I'm constantly reading a book, it's my breakfast and snack reading. I think that for our generation it played out perfectly, being able to actually grow as the books came out and as the characters grew as well.
    I remember feeling so scandalizded about the new Dumbledore in the films, I couldn't get over it (especially in The Goblet of Fire when he was so rough with Harry after his name was drawn). I miss the soft-spoken bushy-bearded Dumbledore!

    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete